Monday

Mamarazzi Monday

Tracey did a one-on-one mentoring session and had a couple follow-up questions:

Do you keep both eyes open when taking a photo?

A: (I have to admit, I went and got my camera and took a photo to find out if I do or not) and the answer is YES I personally keep both eyes open when I'm taking a photo. Not sure if there is anything scientific to that, but more than likely it's because my favorite things to take pics of are KIDS and everyone knows that you have to keep both eyes open at all times when you're around kids. Or else you might get a Nerf dart to the face. Or a kick in the butt.

What is a good beginner book about photography? Any favs?

A: The book that changed my photography and opened my eyes to "what it all means" was Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure (huge thanks to my bro-in-law Jared for the best Christmas gift ever!). You can find it on Amazon HERE. It's in its third edition and it is absolutely the best book I've ever read, purchased, seen, or heard about regarding photography. Another one I found to be very helpful was Blue Pixel's Personal Photocoach. It was the first photography-related book I ever read and gave me a solid base of knowledge. It's on Amazon HERE.

Where is a good place for developing my photos. Especially if I get a good shot and want a large print?

A: First of all, THANK YOU for realizing that Walmart just ain't gonna cut it if you're trying to get quality prints, especially LARGE prints. I can only explain this one way : Wal-mart, CVS, Costco, etc. do not employ people who care about photography. They employ someone who is there for the seven dollars an hour. They employ people who will look at a picture that's just been printed and say, "Oh wow, that looks like crap. Sucks to be that guy!"

Instead, a lab that employs people who know something about photography will not sell you that print. The person employed at the quality lab will look at that same print and say, "Oh wow, that looks like crap. Let me see if I can adjust my printer settings to help make it look better.
" Now, of course I'm not saying that they'll fix all your photography mistakes. But they will know how to improve color casts (so that your family doesn't look like oompa-loompas) and they'll work with you to be sure that you're satisfied.

If you are in a hurry and need something done locally, I've found that camera stores such as Ritz, Wolf, Cooters, etc. do a much better job than any grocery store/drug store/superstore. If you have the time, I would suggest going even a step further in quality and printing through
someone like mpix.com -- the "little brother" printer of one of the best professional labs in the country.


Kristin asked : I only have a couple hundred dollars to spend. What type of equipment would be the best purchase for me?

A: You can't go wrong with a 50mm lens. They are sharp, fast, and provide the ability to take pictures in low light. Every time I start to think I'm bored with my 50mm lens, and switch it out for something different, I always come back to it very quickly because you seriously can't beat the quality and the sharpness. It will take some getting used to, because it doesn't zoom (that's what's called a prime lens... when it only has one focal length) and so you have to move yourself to get the shots you want. But it is WORTH IT! Both Canon and Nikon have versions of the 50mm lens that retail for around $150.
(Edited to add: Kristin already had a camera that she loved, and she'd been using the "kit lens" that came with it. So she was asking about an upgrade to her existing equipment, not starting from scratch!)


Keep those questions coming~ and check back with us every week for another Mamarazzi Monday!

-Emily

And since every post is more fun with a picture, here is one from the session I've been editing today: